Thursday, May 13, 2010

Day of frustration

Wednesday has been a very challenging day for Bogart and myself. Today was the day we worked on dog distractions in the hallway since it was raining outside. Shall we say that Bogart did not do well with this. He started off not so bad but once the new dogs came along he wouldn’t sit, let alone go /stay down. The goal of dog distractions is to have your dog sit and stay while other dogs are brought by closer and closer. First, they are dogs that are known to our dogs, or well behaved dogs. Then they bring out other dogs that our dogs don’t know. Really this is quite easy since the Special skills Program folks just got their dogs today and are having to walk by us.

Well this sort of not listening, out of control behaviour was sort of the last straw for Bogart. This means out came the halty (or gentle leader). I don’t know if I can describe a halty well but I’ll try. Basically it has a piece that goes around the dogs muzzle connected to a strap that goes over the back of the dogs head. The leash then connects on the side of the head. The purpose of this is sort of like what we use on a horse. A tug on the leash gets the dogs attention right away because they don’t like having their heads turned. This does not hurt the dog but you must make more gentle corrections because you are directly connected to his head. Bogart certainly improved his heal with the halty on but when we started our harness exercises he just wouldn’t go forward. I took the halty off after lunch hoping that he’d understand that it is in my pocket and can be used again. He certainly improved a bit on our healing on leash.

I was a bit annoyed with how the afternoon went. On Monday a special needs class has started. I really don’t think they should have more than one program going on at the same time since it makes our hallways really crowded. We were going to do an obstacle course but had to wait until the other program was done showing everyone the relieve area. Once my turn came up, one and a half hours after we were told to arrive for this class, Bogart was up. First I was walked through the obstacles with an empty harness. The idea is that there is basically a zig zag course set up with construction cones. They wanted to teach us about body position as the dog goes around obstacles. The idea is that as the dog turns in front of you, to the right, you want to hang back a bit to give him room and as he turns to the left you want to speed up to catch up with him. the program head trainer, Ian, was here and asked if he could work with Bogart and me on this drill. What he was trying to teach me was how to use my voice better. Lots of praise whenever Bogart makes the first positive move. Part of this course goes by the door that leads out to the courtyard where the playing happens so this was quite a distraction. By the third time through Bogart did okay. Ian then took me aside to talk to me and see how I was feeling. He was explaining how working on voice and confidence in my voice will really help get and keep the dogs attention. He also said that the school would be honest with me if they felt a dog wasn’t working out. At this time they do not think Bogart will be a failure. He explained how partly I might think I want a mellow relaxed dog but then I’d be frustrated with it’s pace and abilities to solve problems. Bogart is a dog with a lot of initiative and our goal is to try to get the initiative working for us as a team rather than against us. He asked me how I was feeling about everything. I shared that I am certainly feeling frustrated at times with Bogart but when I’ve seen him in harness working I can see how he is capable of focusing and doing a good job. I feel that he is getting better from day to day. Admittedly, I’m also getting less patient and starting to demand he does what I ask of him much sooner. I think this is the time of the program where we start wearing out a bit. Yesterday one of the girls was crying from the frustration she is feeling about her dog. I was surprised since I thought her dog was pretty well behaved. We have another dog who tried to bite one of the other assistance dogs. One of the other girls dog doesn’t seem to want to go into the harness for her. My point is that each of us is having our own issues with our dogs at this point. I really feel that Bogart is going to make a big change just when one least expects it. He is having moments of brilliance, behaving with less moments of being a little devil. 

I would be lying if I didn’t say this can be trying emotionally. We are all getting pretty tired out. I think tomorrow night will be the night that Bogart can spend a couple of hours alone in the room and I can go and have a beer at the pub around the corner and listen to some good live music. It’s hard not to let my frustration show with Bogart since I know if he hears frustration or uncertainty it will only work to slow the obedience process. However, I do see us bonding. When he is off leash he does come when I call him. Last night I was watching the Canuncks playoff hockey game. I had Bogart’s leash under my foot. I must have been relaxed at the same time when bogie saw something that had him run off. For a moment my friend John was saying he would go and get him for me. I said no, I will call him back. I did call for him and he did come back which was great.

Overall it was an exhausting day for both of us I think. After supper Bogart and I just relaxed in the room trying to regenerate. I am confident that tomorrow will be a better day and we will again make noticeable progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment